Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U5

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 11:56:24 EST

* Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx <Mark_H_Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >i have released the -U5 Real-Time Preemption patch:
> >

> http://redhat.com/~mingo/voluntary-preempt/voluntary-preempt-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U5
>
> I am getting build problems - specifically with:

> CC [M] drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_watchdog.o

> If I read the patch correctly, this should be recoded as
> DECLARE_MUTEX
> instead, but a quick grep of the source code indicates we have about
> 20 more places where DECLARE_MUTEX_LOCKED is still used. Should I do
> a global replace on that or is something else needed?

it's not normally used, and it's much simpler to rewrite those places
than to implement initialization. (which would be quite hairy)

> I also had a compile failure in XFS. The messages are:
> CC [M] fs/xfs/quota/xfs_dquot_item.o
> CC [M] fs/xfs/quota/xfs_trans_dquot.o

ok, i've re-uploaded a new version of -U5 that has this and the
ipmi_watchdog compilation problems fixed.

please check whether it works, XFS does not seem to make use of count>1
semaphores but one never knows ...

Ingo