Kernel upgrade, need workaround for libata detection

From: Hans Kristian Rosbach
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 05:35:04 EST

I forget the kernel numbers (around 2.6.5 I think), but those
are not important in this matter.

I have installed linux on a few computers with an old 2.6 kernel,
they both have sata disks recogniced as hda and hdc. But a problem
arises when I try to upgrade to a newer kernel (FC2 kernels), the
disks are then sda and sdb.

Now this is fine with me, but the big problem here is that these
disks are in a raid. So I need to find a solution for booting and
finding root on these disks.

I'm thinking about the following solutions:
1. Is there any kernel parameter to disable libata, so that it
will revert to good old hda and hdc?
2. Can I reconfigure the raid to use hda,hdc,sda,sdb even if only
hda and hdc is available while reconfiguring?
Will it work correctly when I reboot and they are sda and sdb
instead? Any hints as to how to do this safely?
3. Any way to make the kernel know that hda==sda ?

I apologise for my bad wording today, It's not a good day (flu).

-HK