Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Generic VESA framebuffer driver and Video card BOOT?

From: Gerd Knorr
Date: Mon Oct 18 2004 - 04:03:02 EST

On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 02:07:28PM +0200, Martin Waitz wrote:
> hi :)
>
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 03:13:13PM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> > You have a application running which uses the framebuffer device, then
> > suspend with that app running. You'll have to restore the state of
> > the device _before_ restarting all the userspace proccesses, otherwise
> > the app will not be very happy.
>
> As long as the app only interfaces with the framebuffer device and not
> directly with the hardware it won't notice.

Well, mmap("/dev/fb") will just map the gfx cards memory into
the applications address space, so they _will_ interface with
the hardware.

> The apps data will simply not show up on the screen until the
> usermode helper finishes.

Whenever writing to the gfx memory before finishing the initialization
is harmless or not probably depends on the hardware, I'd better not
count on it ...

Gerd

--
return -ENOSIG;