Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 swsusp bug report.

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 14:19:42 EST

Hi!

> Sure, flame me if you think this is the right thing to do. But I will
> continue to pitch in with a users' opinion sometimes, because I really
> believe it is important.
>
> It is easy to lose sight of the user perspective on these things if all
> you deal with is kernel development. You probably reboot your machine
> dozens of times a day anyway. However, for some users crashes and
> reboots are *very* expensive. These people (myself included) consider
> sprinkling the code with panics, crashing and failing an unacceptable
> thing to do.

You can have code that does not panic, does not crash, does not
corrupt your data, never fails to suspend and is in Linus' tree.

...no, that is too good. It sounds like a fairy tale.

So pick any four.
Pavel

PS: And it is real. We have conflicting goals here and I consider
"refuses to suspend" least critical.