Re: 4level page tables for Linux II

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 00:54:42 EST

* Jörn Engel <joern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > The solution of your typo problem is typechecking in the compiler;
> > presumably it'll warn me if I try to store a pgd3 pointer in a pgd2
> > entry.
>
> That should help somewhat, agreed. Patches?

Type-checking of pte/pmd/pgd has been part of the kernel for the past 7
years or so. Andi's patch implements it for pml4's too.

the pt1/pt2/pt3/pt4 distinction makes more sense stylistically, but the
current patch should be engineered for as minimal impact as possible.
Drastic changes to the MM namespace can be done later (if ever).

Ingo