Reconsider dropping "-final" EXTRAVERSION from 2.6.9 release

From: Ian E. Morgan
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 12:34:52 EST

I hope other people with influence will speak up on this matter.

I seems like each new kernel in recent times is introducing new release
methodology (the whole "2.6.8.1" fiasco is still fresh in all our minds). Is
the "-final" EXTRAVERSION really necessary?

Thankfully, 2.6.9-final is still in the testing tree. It is my hopes that it
will actually be released as "2.6.9". That's always been good enough.

Linus says "Let's try the 2.4.x release methodology." The "2.4.x release
methodology" was to change a "Foo-rcX" to a final "Foo" release with no
changes. I see no evidence that any 2.4 kernel (or _any_ Linux kernel) was
ever released as "Foo-final". It may be OK to _call_ it a "final" version
when referring to it, but adding "-final" to the EXTRAVERSION field is just
aggravating and redundant.

My 2¢.

Regards,
Ian Morgan