Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -VP-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U3

From: Rui Nuno Capela
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 08:47:39 EST

K.R. Foley wrote:
>Rui Nuno Capela:
>>
>> I run both, on different machines.
>>
>> I'm actually running 2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U3 at this very moment, on my laptop
>> (P4 2.53Ghz/UP, Mdk 10.1c) and also on my desktop machine (P4
>> 2.80Ghz/SMP/HT, SuSE 9.1).
>>
>> However, on the desktop (SMP/HT) I could only made it boot/init
>> successfully with CONFIG_PREEMPT_REALTIME off. On my laptop (UP) is
>> running pretty well on full RT.
>
> I'm curious what you get when you try to boot the SMP system with
> REALTIME on? My SMP/HT system at the office works fine with this.
> Although there is one difference that jumps out at me. I have disabled
> ACPI. I don't have the config handy so I can't do a complete comparison,
> just going from memory.

Hmm. The way I see it, if I say acpi=off on kernel boot, I loose HT, and
end in a SMP enabled kernel running on only one CPU. To keep ACPI disabled
but rely on it to show up those hyperthreaded virtual cpus on boot, one
should say acpi=ht, I guess.

Is that what you're asking?
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela