Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -VP-2.6.9-rc4-mm1-U3

From: K.R. Foley
Date: Sat Oct 16 2004 - 07:34:25 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Lee Revell <rlrevell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

i regularly test it on UP. Do you have SPINLOCK_DEBUG enabled perhaps? That doesnt work right now. You can enable DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP and
DEBUG_PREEMPT.

Sorry, I did have that enabled. This caused a build failure with a UP
build and a boot failure with CONFIG_SMP.

not your fault at all - i cleaned this up in my tree so that only valid
combinations can be selected, these fixes will show up in -U4.

it seems that SMP + PREEMPT_TIMING is not stable though, somehow the
latency printk's cause a crash sooner or later. I'm still debugging this
problem. Without PREEMPT_TIMING the SMP kernel is stable.

Ingo

On my SMP system here at home I have not seen this instability. It's been rock solid since yesterday morning and I already posted the worst latencies that have been generated. My SMP system at work was up and doing fine until I shut it down when I left last night. And posted the high latencies from that yesterday as well. All in all it doesn't look too bad to me.

kr

Home SMP system:
[root@porky latencies]# uptime
07:23:55 up 19:42, 3 users, load average: 67.22, 83.69, 57.23

Current time: Sat Oct 16 06:37:08 CDT 2004
Exiting test run..
Displaying report...
Total test time: 18h46m6s
Tests passed:
TTCP ran 1024 times in 8h32m50s, failed on 0 attempts.
FS ran 64 times in 18h46m3s, failed on 0 attempts.
CRASHME ran 256 times in 2h31m42s, failed on 0 attempts.
FIFOS_MMAP ran 256 times in 11h23m41s, failed on 0 attempts.
P3-FPU ran 256 times in 6h41m44s, failed on 0 attempts.
SAVE-STATE ran 1 times in 1m2s, failed on 0 attempts.
**** Test run completed successfully ****