Building on case-insensitive systems and systems where -shared doesn'twork well (was: Re: 2.6.8 link failure for sparc32 (vmlinux.lds.s: No suchfile or directory)?)

From: Dan Kegel
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 01:54:28 EST

Sam Ravnborg wrote:
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:40:24PM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
683 2328 27265 linux-2.6.8-build_on_case_insensitive_fs-1.patch
28 122 1028 linux-2.6.8-noshared-kconfig.patch

Can you please post these two patches.
The fist I hope is very small today.

OK, here they are, plus a third one that also seems neccessary:

This one's by Martin Schaffner:
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/patches/linux-2.6.8/linux-2.6.8-build_on_case_insensitive_fs.patch

This one's by Kevin Hilman. I haven't tried it yet, but seems neccessary:
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/linux-2.6.8-netfilter-case-insensitive.patch

Both of the above choose arbitrary ways to avoid using
filenames identical but for case. Feel free to pick
some other way, there's nothing magic about the names we picked.

This one's after an idea by bertrand.marquis@xxxxxxxxx,
but it's small enough to be considered trivial. Many OS's
don't support shared libraries as easily as Linux does,
and there's nothing to be gained by making libkconfig shared, so don't.
http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.28-rc37/patches/linux-2.6.8/linux-2.6.8-noshared-kconfig.patch

Anything you can do to help get these patches
reviewed and possibly applied would be quite welcome.
- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com