Re: Linux 2.6.9-rc3

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 15:33:30 EST

On Thursday 30 September 2004 02:29, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

>On 09/30/2004 02:02 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>| On Thursday 30 September 2004 00:53, Markus T. wrote:
>|># bzcat patch-2.6.9-rc3.bz2 | patch -p1
>|>patching file fs/nfs/file.c
>|>Hunk #2 FAILED at 74.
>|>Hunk #3 FAILED at 91.
>|>2 out of 11 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file
>|> fs/nfs/file.c.rej ...
>|>
>|>___
>|>Markus
>|
>| And thats one of the reasons I never dl the bz2 version.
>
>what has bz2 to do with that?

bz2 has resulted in corrupted unpacks here on more than one occasion,
and it has done it without any outwardly visible error when the
md5sum was good. I've had it skip a whole subdir tree in a kernel
unpack on at least 4 occasions, and a missing file someplace on
several more occasions. I don't have any such troubles when dl'ing
and using the .gz version of things.

There has been at least one occasion where the .bz2 dl had a bad
md5sum, again without any visible error as it was downloading, nuke
it and go back and get the same file again and it was good. Again
I've had no such troubles when using the .gz versions, so after a a
while, I got into the habit of just gettng the .gz version and I've
never had an instance of a bad md5sum that wasn't accompanied by site
access problems.

>| You should have started with a fresh unpack of 2.6.8, not 2.6.8.1
>| I just checked my scrollback and there is no such error here.
>
>well its a bit confusing. 2.6.8.1 is the latest stable right,
> normaly patches are applied against the latest stable.

There was a discussion about that here on the lkml, and linus's
decision was to reference all further patches against 2.6.8. Its
broken, but its the anchor point till 2.6.9 comes out.

> Let's just hope this NFS fix is on the rc series if you have to
> apply against 2.6.8

Other than amdump made a half fubar'd backup last night using -rc3,
its running reasonably well here. If the amdump bombs again tonight,
then we get out the magnifying glass & start looking. But first I'd
have to know where to start & there are no odd entries in the log for
that time of the morning.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)