Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Sep 30 2004 - 11:49:02 EST

Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 28 September 2004 06:33, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

what i use is serial logging to another machine. A digital camera
is fine too, if the problem area is still visible on the screen.
(Netconsole is useful too for other type of hangs but it's not
active at such an early stage yet.)

Ingo

Unforch, I don't have a spare seriel port Ingo. One is running my
x10

fortunately with the patch applied your box works now (so does mine)
so the bug appears to be fixed.

I just built a kernel with that latest stack-fix patch in it too, but haven't rebooted to it yet. I read that as being moderately important in some cases although I don't think I've encountered that particular case yet. Was this in fact a good idea for me?

early-bootup debugging was never easy, and breakage there doesnt
happen all that often. Hopefully this was the last one related to
remove-BKL.

(If such a early-bootup lockup happens in the future then you sure
could temporarily unplug the ups serial connection and use that as
the serial console - for the narrow and temporary purpose of
debugging that boot-time hang.)

That would I assume need a null modem cable, and what do I run on the firewall? Minicom? Or is there something better that can just grab and log without being interactive? Its a rh7.3 box with a 2.4.18 era kernel. I'd update that, but its not broken. :)

I use Kermit, it will do about everything you could ask and gives a single interface for serial and network console connections.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)