Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH 2] Fortuna PRNG in /dev/random

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 16:55:37 EST

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 04:27:07PM -0400, Jean-Luc Cooke wrote:

> Here's patch v2.1.2 that waits at least 0.1 sec before reseeding for
> non-blocking reads to alleviate Ted's concern wrt waiting for reseeds.

You didn't include the patch, and in any case, you'll probably want to
probably want to do it for both blocking as well as non-blocking
reads. And keep in mind, it's not *my* concerns, but it's Neil
Ferguson and Bruce Schneier's concerns. After all, if you're going to
call it Fortuna, you might as well be faithful to their design,
especially since if you don't, you're leaving it to be utterly
vulnerable to this state extension attack they are so worried about.

- Ted