Re: processor affinity

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 15:46:41 EST

Jon Masters wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:43:32 -0600, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since they are hiring as many top Linux folks as possible, and they have
invested their entire future in Linux, I think their actions speak so loud,

I only asked because I'd not heard of an official patent position from
them (but I've not looked) and I wondered if someone happened to know
- words are completely meaningless.

<snip>

Wow, tha'ts one bitter mail you sent. Sorry to hear about it but I'd
rather not start a general discussion about big business practices and
Novell - just interested in the patent situation.

Jon.

Just letting you have a little insight into what their position might be. It's not bitter, it's
factual, and I got over Novell a long time ago. They will probably ignore you for now, but
in the future, if Linux contains IP from sources they consider theirs, it would be possible
for them to shut out competitors without a license from them. Not only on this topic, but
any other area their employees have contributed for which they hold patents. This case may
be a special one, but anytime you use patented materials are even areas where there is a doubt
there is exposure. I have a release from them and I can use any IP I retained in a non-tangible
form that would have been theirs. So I can use this patent without concern of infringement
claims. But since I did not instrument the affinity code in Linux, it's not protected this way.
NWFS is protected this way and people can use it without fear of claims from Novell.

Jeff