Re: processor affinity

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 15:21:35 EST

Jon Masters wrote:

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 13:24:42 -0600, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyway, I
provided it as a reference since it is the first patent on SMP affinity
scheduling and methods for the very interested person who asked. And
yes, Linux
appears to infringe it, but since Novell is pro-Linux, I don't think it
matters.

Still it's probably worth knowing it might be an issue someday. What's
Novell's position on patents they hold involving the kernel? I'm too
lazy to go hunting for it (rml might well know).

Jon.

Since they are hiring as many top Linux folks as possible, and they have invested their entire future in Linux, I think
their actions speak so loud, it doesn't matter what your hearing from them. Novell's position (from my experience)
it that they will take whatever steps they feel necessary to protect their circle (as evidenced by an illegal search of
my home by Novell Security Employees (not law enforcement 8 Novell employees and a sheriff) ) along with spending
17 million dollars in litigation costs to keep me out of the computer business for almost 4 years by crushing me, my
family, and any business I tried to start, and ruining my life and my marriage with my previous wife of 24 years).

If you are in their circle, they will fight for you to the death, and breaking the rules doesn't bother them.
If you are outside their circle ........ you should feel very safe and comfortable.

Linux is in their circle at present. I think you should weigh the options and make the appropriate decisions
when choosing to deal with them.

Jeff