Re: processor affinity

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 15:01:13 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 10:56:51AM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Using them for Intel Cache affinity was new at the time. Intel SMP hardware was not readily available at the time and was in
its infancy in 1993 when this was developed. This implementation (like Linux) was specific to IA32 architecture systems.

The Linux implementation works on about a dozen plattforms, or how
many smp ports we have these days..

In it's early beginnings, Linux was IA32 based. A pretty cool idea at the time. The patent took ten years to issue due to all the prior
art claims. I remember Novell's lawyers bringing me reams of prior art to review during the initial work to verify there was no prior
art in the field. Apparently, this was for first affinity patent on SMP architecture systems filed, or it would not have issued. Anyway, I provided it as a reference since it is the first patent on SMP affinity scheduling and methods for the very interested person who asked. And yes, Linux
appears to infringe it, but since Novell is pro-Linux, I don't think it matters.

:-)

Jeff