Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4 and nvidia 1.0-6111

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 13:08:02 EST

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 18:28, you wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 13:15, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 01:04:58PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> > > Isn't there an nvidia-linux mailing list? This is really OT for
> > > LKML.
> >
> > I had one for a while where I posted patches but it never gained much
> > momentum. Unless there is a sizable group of people who want this I
> > don't see any need to resurrect it.
>
> OK, makes sense. With so many people using the driver I guess it's just
> easiest to deal with nvidia problems on LKML.
>
> Lee

Just about any out-of-kernel driver using Changed-API-X will be broken, free
or non-free. Something more general like linux-drivers or
linux-kernel-drivers would probably make more sense.

Sometimes changes in -mm even break in-kernel drivers; it's not really an
"NVIDIA problem" as such. I agree with Lee though; it's an unwritten rule
that you prefix a subject with [OT] when speaking about something which isn't
directly relevant to the kernel.

(By the way, if this breaks outside of -mm patches will appear for stable
kernels on http://minion.de/ as did with the 2.5 development tree.)

--
Cheers,
Alistair.