Re: processor affinity

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 12:35:38 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

On Maw, 2004-09-28 at 17:02, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=2&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=merkey.INZZ.&OS=IN/merkey&RS=IN/merkey

Wow, I never knew about that.

But guess who wrote the affinity system calls? :)

I wrote them first, and coined the term.

Cute but GCOS3 had affinity syscalls for batch processing in the 1970's
and I don't believe it was original even then.

Using them for Intel Cache affinity was new at the time. Intel SMP hardware was not readily available at the time and was in
its infancy in 1993 when this was developed. This implementation (like Linux) was specific to IA32 architecture systems.

Jeff