Re: New DRM driver model - gets rid of DRM() macros!

From: Keith Whitwell
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 09:15:07 EST

Keith Whitwell wrote:
Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 02:29:24PM +0100, Keith Whitwell wrote:

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

- drm_flush is a noop. a NULL ->flush does the same thing, just easier
- dito or ->poll
- dito for ->read

Pretty sure you couldn't get away with null for these in 2.4, at least.

Umm, of course you could. There's only a hanfull instance defining a
->flush at all. Similarly all file_ops for regular files and many char
devices don't have ->poll. no ->read is pretty rare but 2.4 chæcks it
aswell.

I tried it, led to crashes (panics, I guess) & the change had to be reverted. On reverting the crashes stopped. This was for poll and read:

Thinking about it, it may not have been a problem of crashing, but rather that the behaviour visible from a program attempting to read (or poll) was different with noop versions of these functions to NULL versions, and that was causing problems. This is 18 months ago, so yes, I'm being vague.

The X server does look at this file descriptor, which is where the problem would have arisen, but only the gamma & maybe ffb drivers do anything with it.

Keith