kobject events questions

From: Timo Teräs
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 09:07:13 EST

Hi all,

I've been following the evolution of kobject events patch. This is because I'd like to implement a netfilter target that is able to send an event to userland using it.

There's a small description of it and some background in the netfilter mailing list:
http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter-devel/2004-August/016342.html

Now that the events are strictly associated with kobjects (the original patch had a way to send arbitrary events) I have two choices:

1) Send the events so that they are always associated with the network devices class_device kobject. I guess this would be quite clean way to do it, but it'd require adding a new signal type and would limit the iptables target to be associated always with a interface.

2) Create a device class that has virtual timer devices that trigger events (ie. /sys/class/utimer). Each timer could have some attributes (like expired, expire_time, etc.) and would emit "change" signals whenever timer expires.

I'd like to hear what you think of the thing I'm trying to do?

And especially how "bad" idea the option 2 is (since the new class might not be useful for others)?

Any ideas how this could be done better?

- Timo