Re: mlock(1)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 20:51:21 EST

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 02:31:39PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Llu, 2004-09-27 at 15:16, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> > because I never use suspend/resume on my desktop, I never shutdown my
> > desktop. I don't see why should I spend time typing a password when
> > there's no need to. Every single guy out there will complain at linux
> > hanging during boot asking for password before reaching kdm.
>
> So attempt a decrypt with a null password before asking.

Not sure to understand, sorry. I was talking about the cryptoswap above.
there's no reason to type a password from userspace as far as cryptoswap
is concerned, nor to attempt a decrypt. A long random key choosen by the
kernel is more secure, that will be a single key used for both encrypt
and decrypt, and it'll always work.