Re: IDE Hotswap

From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 16:41:34 EST

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 20:49, Suresh Grandhi wrote:
> Hi,
> My hardware has IDE hotswap support. I like to implement the hotswap driver
> over 2.6.8 kernel.
> Right now I am able to register and unregister the IDE devices successfully
> if they are not part of any raid or LVM.
> If I/O operation is going on the disk, then IDE unregister fails generating
> lot of I/O error messages.
> In this case, I want to make a work-around.
> Instead of unregistering the IDE device, is there a way to re-register the
> IDE device with the already existing ports and irq when the disk is
> inserted?

No and such workaround won't work anyway because
re-register operation is nothing else but unregister+register.

hotswap is currently unsupported, some TODO items:
- convert IDE driver to use dynamic objects instead of static ones
- add needed refcounting and locking
- convert IDE driver to new driver-model
- add full sysfs support
- add hotswap

Any help/support is appreciated.

Regards,