Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm4

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 06:02:11 EST

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 06:33, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>* Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >what i use is serial logging to another machine. A digital camera
>> > is fine too, if the problem area is still visible on the screen.
>> > (Netconsole is useful too for other type of hangs but it's not
>> > active at such an early stage yet.)
>> >
>> > Ingo
>>
>> Unforch, I don't have a spare seriel port Ingo. One is running my
>> x10
>
>fortunately with the patch applied your box works now (so does mine)
> so the bug appears to be fixed.

I just built a kernel with that latest stack-fix patch in it too, but
haven't rebooted to it yet. I read that as being moderately
important in some cases although I don't think I've encountered that
particular case yet. Was this in fact a good idea for me?

>early-bootup debugging was never easy, and breakage there doesnt
> happen all that often. Hopefully this was the last one related to
> remove-BKL.
>
>(If such a early-bootup lockup happens in the future then you sure
> could temporarily unplug the ups serial connection and use that as
> the serial console - for the narrow and temporary purpose of
> debugging that boot-time hang.)

That would I assume need a null modem cable, and what do I run on the
firewall? Minicom? Or is there something better that can just grab
and log without being interactive? Its a rh7.3 box with a 2.4.18 era
kernel. I'd update that, but its not broken. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)