RE: suspend/resume support for driver requires an external firmware

From: Patrick Mochel
Date: Tue Sep 28 2004 - 00:35:48 EST

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Zhu, Yi wrote:

> Patrick Mochel wrote:

> > As far as the firmware goes, there are two choices - reload
> > it from userspace once we return or save it memory during
> > suspend. I assume that these devices provide some means for
> > reading the firmware from them, so you can just allocate a
> > buffer and read it into that during the transition.
>
> Agreed. I think now we need a clean interface that makes
> drivers, swsusp or even the end user to work together to
> finally achieve the goal.

Well, if you can read firmware back from the device, then that interface
is called kmalloc() to allocate the buffer, and whatever driver-specific
routine to copy it from the device into that buffer. It then stays in
memory during suspend and can be rewritten to the device once resumed.

What's so bad about that?

Pat