RE: suspend/resume support for driver requires an external firmware

From: Patrick Mochel
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 23:56:28 EST

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Zhu, Yi wrote:

> Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > Where do you load your firmware from so that you can bring up
> > the network so you can mount everything via NFS in the first place?
>
> The firmware locates together w/ the driver in the initrd which could be
> either in the remote PXE server or the local diskettes. It should be
> also
> placed somewhere on the NFS root so that it can be picked up to
> memory during suspend.

I presume you're not talking about doing swsusp over NFS. If so, there's
a lot more work to be done to teach the driver model and power management
infrastructure about the dependencies involved to make that a possibility.
It's safe to say that we don't support that, and won't support that at
least for some time.

As far as the firmware goes, there are two choices - reload it from
userspace once we return or save it memory during suspend. I assume that
these devices provide some means for reading the firmware from them, so
you can just allocate a buffer and read it into that during the
transition.

Pat