Re: 1GB/2GB/3GB User Space Splitting Patch 2.6.8.1 (PSEUDO SPAM)

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 09:58:09 EST

Timothy> Ok, I understand now. I think. With 0xc0000000, you
Timothy> have 128M of highmem, right? Why do you add 256M to the
Timothy> kernel address space? Is there a further advantage to that?

No real reason, just laziness. It's easier to change "0xc" to "0xb"
and not think rather than figuring out if 0xb8000000 will let me use
every last byte of RAM. (I'm not sure if I end up with exactly 128 MB
of highmem, or perhaps a shade more) For userspace, there's no
practical difference between having 2.75 GB of address space and 2.875
GB given that I have only 1 GB of real RAM.

- Roland