Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] Fortuna PRNG in /dev/random

From: Jean-Luc Cooke
Date: Mon Sep 27 2004 - 08:11:06 EST

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 12:50:33AM -0000, linux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > SHA-1 without padding, sure.
>
> > hash("a") = hash("a\0") = hash("a\0\0") = ...
> > hash("b") = hash("b\0") = hash("b\0\0") = ...
> > hash("c") = hash("c\0") = hash("c\0\0") = ...
>
> And how do I hash one byte with SHA-1 *without padding*? The only
> hashing code I can find in random.c works 64 bytes at a time.
> What are the other 63 bytes?
>
> (I agree that that *naive* padding leads to collisions, but random.c
> doesn't do ANY padding.)

And I guess it is my fault to assume "no padding" is naive padding.

> > I see. And in the -mm examples, is the code easily readable for other
> > os-MemMgt types? If no, then I guess random.c is not the exception and I
> > apologize.
>
> The Linux core -mm code is a fairly legendary piece of Heavy Wizardry.
> To paraphrase, "do not meddle in the affairs of /usr/src/linux/mm/, for
> it is subtle and quick to anger." There *are* people who understand it,
> and it *is* designed (not a decaying pile of old hacks that *nobody*
> understands how it works like some software), but it's also a remarkably
> steep learning curve. A basic overview isn't so hard to acquire, but the
> locking rules have subtle details. There are places where someone very good
> noticed that a given lock doesn't have to be taken on a fast path if you
> avoid doing certain things anywhere else that you'd think would be legal.
>
> And so if someone tries to add code to do the "obvious" thing, the
> lock-free fast path develops a race condition. And we all know what
> fun race conditions are to debug.
>
> Fortunately, some people see this as a challenge and Linux is blessed with
> some extremely skilled VM hackers. And some of them even write and publish
> books on the subject. But while a working VM system can be clear, making it
> go fast leads to a certain amount of tension with the clarity goal.

Freightning ... but informative thank you.

> > And the ring-buffer system which delays the expensive mixing stages untill a
> > a sort interrupt does a great job (current and my fortuna-patch). Difference
> > being, fortuna-patch appears to be 2x faster.
>
> Ooh, cool! Must play with to steal the speed benefits. Thank you!

I'll have a patch for a "enable in crypto options" and "blocking with entropy
estimation" random-fortuna.c patch this week. My fiance is out of town and
there should be time to hack one up.

JLC