Re: NFS TUNING: #define NFS3_MAXGROUPS

From: Frank van Maarseveen
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 17:29:55 EST

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 04:43:29PM +0200, Christian Fischer wrote:
> On Sunday 26 September 2004 16:38, Christian Fischer wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > Please can you tell me if NFS_MAXGROUPS is tunable for linux kernel? (and
> > is it safe?) I need more than 16 groups per user. For BSD-kernel it is a
> > tunable constant (i think so) and I'm not so familar with such things.

That limit is hardcoded in the SUNRPC protocol (part of NFS) and
_cannot_ be changed: it is a fundamental constant in NFS with AUTH_UNIX
authentication. However, there is a trick to bypass this protocol
limitation, see http://www.frankvm.com/nfs-ngroups for a 2.4.x patch.

The 2.6.x patch is under development.

--
Frank