Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm3: swsusp horribly slow on AMD64

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 14:25:46 EST

On Sunday 26 of September 2004 20:34, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > [-- snip --]
> > > swsusp: Image: 11145 Pages
> > > swsusp: Pagedir: 0 Pages
> > > Writing data to swap (11145 pages)... 0%
> > >
> > > Here I have to press the red button unless I want to wait for a couple
of
> > > hours. I'll send you more info when there's more.
> >
> > I figured out that the slowdown occurs in device_resume(), so I put a
printk()
> > in dpm_resume(), like this:
>
> When you hit "writing data to swap", device_resume should be no longer
> happening.

It isn't. Still, device_resume() is called explicitly by swsusp_write() and
IMO what happens is that the resume() function of one of the drivers does
something that causes the system to slow down, which affects the writing
operation (please note that the clock seems to be unaffected, though). I'll
try to narrow it.

> Try to unload all modules etc, see if it goes away.

I guess it will, but I'll check.

> If not, fix sysrq to work for you, and look at backtrace.

This would be more time-consuming. :-)

Greets,
RJW

--
- Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
- That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.