Re: NFS TUNING: #define NFS3_MAXGROUPS

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 11:11:56 EST

På su , 26/09/2004 klokka 10:38, skreiv Christian Fischer:
> Hello.
>
> Please can you tell me if NFS_MAXGROUPS is tunable for linux kernel? (and is
> it safe?) I need more than 16 groups per user. For BSD-kernel it is a tunable
> constant (i think so) and I'm not so familar with such things.
>
> What else must i do if it is really tunable?

No, it is NOT tunable. The SunRPC protocol (rfc1831) states clearly that
the AUTH_SYS (a.k.a. AUTH_UNIX) structure is defined as

struct authsys_parms {
unsigned int stamp;
string machinename<255>;
unsigned int uid;
unsigned int gid;
unsigned int gids<16>;
};

If the BSDs are playing around with that, then they are not adhering to
the protocol, and will be incompatible with all other SunRPC
implementations.

Cheers,
Trond