Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 swsusp bug report.

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 05:10:04 EST

Hi!

> > True, defragmenter would not help.
> >
> > Anyway, conversion from order-8 allocation should be pretty easy, but
> > I never seen that failure case and this is first report... So I'm not
> > doing that work just yet. [There's big chunk of changes waiting in
> > -mm, that needs to be merged because any other work should be done.]
>
> Are we still planning on having suspend2 replace swsusp eventually? It
> was a lot of work to switch from those high order allocations, and if we
> are still going to replace swsusp, perhaps it's would be a better use of
> your time to do other things?

I do not know if I'm more scared of swsusp1 to kill order-8
allocations or if suspend2's two page sets scare me more. (Hooks
suspend2 needs to stop all page cache activity are scary...)

I certainly want some parts of suspend2 (like improved freezer, if it
can be made small enough), but I'm no longer sure I want all of it. I
expected many people complaining about highmem problems in swsusp1,
and that just did not happen; SMP support turned out to be reasonably
simple...
Pavel