Re: OOM-killer killed everything

From: William Lee Irwin III
Date: Sat Sep 25 2004 - 07:49:54 EST

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 01:26:13PM +0200, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> I just started burning an audio cd with cdrecord, ran it as root because of
> the SUID changes in 2.6.8 when this big bad guy by the name of OOM-killer
> appeared and started killing everything :) I don't know whether the spurious
> interrupt issue has something to do with it but according to what I've read
> on lkml about it until now, it is supposed to be quite harmless. Sysinfo
> + .config attached.

Usually I only get "Kernel panic: Out of memory and no killable processes..."
from local DoS testcases; I'd be surprised if anyone tripped over such
cases by accident unless they're doing something particularly stressful
(e.g. forking server with zillions of clients) or there's a
particularly outrageously offensive memory leak.

-- wli