Re: mlock(1)

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 18:05:27 EST

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 10:07:25PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> Keys are a different case anyway. We can swap them if we have encrypted
> swap (hardware or software) and we could use the crypto lib just to
> crypt some pages in swap although that might be complex. As such a
> MAP_CRYPT seems better than mlock. If we don't have cryptable swap then
> fine its mlock.

I really like encrypted swap, it should already work fine, I think we
should make it the default. The cpu cost during swapping should be
really not significant. It's needed anyways for running suspend on a
laptop (currently suspend dumps into the swap the cleartext key of any
cryptoloop device, making cryptoloop pretty much useless). And the good
thing is that it won't even need to ask for a password.