Re: mlock(1)

From: Lee Revell
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 15:42:30 EST

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 16:33, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> > Is this really a good idea? I suspect it would be abused. For example,
> > people would mlock mozilla or openoffice to keep it from being paged out
> > overnight when updatedb runs, where the real solution is to fix the
> > problem with the VM that causes updatedb to force other apps to swap
> > out.
>
> Use /proc/swappiness for this
>
> It definitely helped for me. I set it really low, around '10' or so.

Yeah, this never bugged me much but some people hate this behavior. I
set it to 0, works fine.

My point is that people will abuse mlock(1). Maybe that is not our
concern. But, the current users of mlock have to know what they are
doing to some extent. Like the ntpd example, it doesn't mlock ALL it's
memory, just the portion that can't be swapped out due to realtime
constraints.

Lee