resource provisioning

From: Phy Prabab
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 12:28:26 EST

Hello,

I would like to know if the linux kernel has a
mechanism to control computing resources at a uid
level, which I will call "resource provisioning". For
example, I would like to define on a multi cpu machine
that a list of uid's can not consume more than 1 cpu
and no more than 1G RAM, irregardless or how many jobs
they launch on or to the system.

So I guess, is this the correct term and is there a
posibilitity to do this now?

I would like to avoid the virtual servers method as I
do not want to carve the machines in question into
more machines.

Thanks for the help!
Phy