Re: lost memory on a 4GB amd64

From: Sergei Haller
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 06:51:43 EST

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Rafael J. Wysocki (RW) wrote:

RW> > my board has only four banks, each of them has a 1GB module sitting.
RW> > (page 26 of ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2875_102.pdf)
RW>
RW> Which is what makes the difference, I think. IMO, the problem is that _both_
RW> CPUs use the same memory bank that is physically attached to only one of them
RW> which leads to conflicts, apparently (the CPU with memory has also
RW> PCI/AGP/whatever attached to it via HyperTransport so I can imagine there may
RW> be issues with overlapping address spaces etc.). I'd bet that there's
RW> something wrong either with the BIOS or with the board design itself and I
RW> don't think there's anything that the kernel can do about it (usual
RW> disclaimer applies).

I got the impression that the whole point of the problem is that the
kernel is getting some wrong information about the memory configuration.

Is there any way to check which information exactly is wrong that leads to
the error and to see after that, where this information comes from: if the
BIOS is lying or if the kernel is misinterpreting something...

Sergei