Re: lost memory on a 4GB amd64

From: Andrew Walrond
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 04:44:28 EST

On Friday 24 Sep 2004 10:27, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > AW> cpu1's bank. How are yours arranged?
> >
> > my board has only four banks, each of them has a 1GB module sitting.
> > (page 26 of ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/m_s2875_102.pdf)
>
> Which is what makes the difference, I think. IMO, the problem is that
> _both_ CPUs use the same memory bank that is physically attached to only
> one of them which leads to conflicts, apparently (the CPU with memory has
> also PCI/AGP/whatever attached to it via HyperTransport so I can imagine
> there may be issues with overlapping address spaces etc.). I'd bet that
> there's something wrong either with the BIOS or with the board design
> itself and I don't think there's anything that the kernel can do about it
> (usual disclaimer applies).
>
> Out of couriosity: have you tried to run the kernel with K8 NUMA enabled?

Actually, the block diagram on page 9 of the manual suggests that this is
_not_ a NUMA board, since all DIMMS are connected to cpu1. The block diagram
for my thunder k8w specifically shows DIMMS associated with individual
processors.

Which suggests that NUMA show be _disabled_ in the kernel config.

Have you tried it with NUMA disabled? I think I remeber it being on in
the .config you sent me.

Andrew