Re: [patch 03/21] video/radeon_base: replace MS_TO_HZ() with msecs_to_jiffies()

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Sep 24 2004 - 00:18:22 EST

On Friday 24 September 2004 00:38, Jon Smirl wrote:
>That patch didn't fix your performance. It modifies the timer for
> the panel backlight on laptops. Something else fixed your speed
> problem.

Oh dear, now we're back to the phase of the moon theory? I don't go
to that church.

I didn't change anything else John. I had previously rebuilt rc2-mm2
2 times because I'd found that cachefs wasn't what I thought it was
and took that back out, leaving me still stuck at 10 fps for either
instance and I did check. Applied the subject line patch,
rebuilt/reboot again without even calling a make xconfig, and I get
250 fps. Steady, rather than fading down to the 100 fps in about a
minute like all previous kernels have in this 2.6.8 and up series.

Several things are locally built here: X, amanda, kde, cups,
gutenprint, sane, xsane and all kernels. I don't think yum replaced
anything but mozilla (up to 1.7.3 now) last night. Not according to
the email I got from it anyway. That, and this patch are the only
diffs. I've since did the patch that takes out the #define from the
radeonfb.h file but I haven't rebooted to that kernel yet. From my
read of that file, its just housekeeping, like sweeping the floor.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)