Re: undecoded slave?

From: Eric Mudama
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 20:50:31 EST

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 02:09:13 +0200, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
<bzolnier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 23 September 2004 22:30, tabris wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday 23 September 2004 7:14 am, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > [ use linux-ide@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for ATA stuff ]

> > > Please send hdparm -I output for both drives.
> >
> > As you can see, both drives are the same brand/size/model.
> > Both are connected to the PDC20265 on my ASUS A7V266-E motherboard.
> >
> > /dev/hdg:
> >
> > ATA device, with non-removable media
> > Model Number: Maxtor 4D060H3
> > Serial Number: D3000000
> > Firmware Revision: DAK019K0
>
> Thanks.
> It seems we will need to add this Serial Number to "undecoded slave" fixup.
>
> Please also send /proc/ide/hd?/identify to exclude kernel/hdparm parsing bug.

I'm confused, and I think something else must be going on... to have 2
different drives, with two completely different ASICs in them (and
therefore significantly different object code), have identical
corruption of the same 6 bytes of their configuration block is just
not likely. I'm pretty sure they don't even have the same utility
zone layout.

Is that how the drive IDs when connected via other controllers, in
another system, etc?

hrm...

eric