Re: 2.6.8.1 doesn't boot on x86_64

From: Tigran Aivazian
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 12:41:50 EST

booting with nosmp panics dereferencing NULL pointer and the stack trace
(ignoring offsets) looks like this:

sysfs_hash_and_remove
sysfs_remove_link
class_device_dev_unlink
class_device_del
class_device_unregister
scsi_remove_host
ata_host_remove
ata_device_add
ata_pci_init_one
piix_init_one
pci_device_probe_static
__pci_device_probe
bus_match
driver_attach
bus_add_driver
driver_register
pci_register_driver
piix_init
child_rip

Btw, in this context I noticed something interesting earlier (with Fedora
Core 2 kernels) --- if I plug in the second SATA disk to the 3
channel then Linux only detects the first SATA disk and the second host
thread just exists. I didn't know if it's a bug or expected behaviour so I
just plugged in the second SATA disk into the first controller so I get
sda and sdb disks and everything works fine (with FC2 kernel, not
2.6.8.1).

I cc'd Jeff Garzik as the functions on the stack (ata bits) seem to belong
to his area. Jeff, this is booting 2.6.8.1 with "nosmp" on an x86_64 with
two SATA disks (sda and sdb). Booting without "nosmp" hangs as described
below. Booting with "nosmp" panics as described above.

Kind regards
Tigran