Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm2 vs glxgears

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 10:01:12 EST

On Thursday 23 September 2004 04:19, Dave Airlie wrote:
>> Which even I have to agree is pretty pathetic.
>
>What do you get on a Linus kernel, I'm not tracking -mm as much as I
>should, the missing pci_enable_device might have caused some
> issues...

I hadn't even built 2.6.9-rc2 due to the widespread and constant hang
reports.

>On my 2.6.8.1 at the moment glxgears stays constant enough, I'll
> boot into a 2.6.9 later on and check it out...

I'm not sure if I have a 2.6.8.1 in my grub.conf still. This brings
up a minor question: How many entries can one actually have in the
grub.conf before something overflows? I'd set a rather abitrary
limit of 16 here, but I have more room in the /boot partition than
that, and the 2.6.8.1 kernel still exists I believe.

>What graphics card you have?
>Dave.

X-tacy version of an ATI Radeon 9200SE, 128 megs of ram. And these
lines from messages at about the time I did the startx I've not seen
before:
Sep 23 03:19:55 coyote kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 3.0 compliant
device at 0000:00:00.0.
Sep 23 03:19:55 coyote kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at
0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
Sep 23 03:19:55 coyote kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V3 device at
0000:02:00.0 into 4x mode
Sep 23 03:19:55 coyote kernel: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode

So this is something new with rc2-mm2 (new to me anyway). The card,
and its mobo socket are supposedly 8X, so why the setting to 4X? Not
that this has very much to do with this problem since 10fps can be
done on AGP 0.05X :)

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene