Re: FUSE fusexmp proxy example solves umount problem!

From: Mario R. Carro
Date: Wed Sep 22 2004 - 08:16:57 EST

I had exactly the same idea. I've setup an little project on SourceForge
(http://sf.net/projects/rmvfs). It's just a crude proof of concept by now.

I was thinking in cdroms and diskettes, but I suppose that it applies also
to usb sticks. My original motivation was the cdroms and zip disks being
kept locked in the drives.

I wanted to be able to:
- use the media without needing an explicit mount op (as autofs does).
- be able to extract the media at any time, without an explicit umount and
without being blokced by any lagging process.
- Avoid the risk of corruption.

So:
- the rmvfs mountpoint is always mounted, no explicit mount required.
- rmvfs maintains the target drive always unmounted (unless there's an
operation in progress) so it is safe to extract the media at any time.
- And finally, as you say, by virtue of the proxing, you are always free to
extract the media without problems.

It's performance is very bad but for accessing already slow media (diskettes
and zips) it's fine. The added confort of use it's what it counts, I think,
anyway.

Regards,

MRC