ICH5 SATA problem loading ide-cd module

From: Alon Altman
Date: Tue Sep 21 2004 - 15:32:03 EST

Please Cc me to any replies, as I'm not subscribed to LKML.

Hello,
I've just installed the Debian package of the 2.6.8 kernel
(2.6.8-1-686-smp) on my machine with an ASUS board with an ICH5 chipset and
a SATA HDD in enhanced mode.

The system loads correctly, identifying the SATA drive as /dev/sda, up
until I load the ide-cd module. The ide-cd module correctly detects the DVD
Writer as /dev/hdb, and immediately generates the following error:

APIC error on CPU0: 60(60) [this is repeated several times]

Then, I get a message "irq 185: nobody cared", which lists the folowing
handlers:

f884af00 ata_interrupt
f88aeea0 ide_intr

After this error, all attempts to access the SATA drive time out, and I
have to resort to a cold reboot.

I heard ICH5 SATA should work on 2.6.8, so is there something simple I'm
missing here?

Thanks,
Alon

--