Re: 2.6.8-r1 mem issues

From: Jeff V. Merkey
Date: Mon Sep 20 2004 - 11:02:41 EST

Max,

I reported the same problem. There is a patch that gets around this, however, it does
Ooops in some situations in free_pages if you are using split address space
AND low memory conditions. Nick Piggin has the patch.

Jeff

Max Michaels wrote:

This is my first post, so please be forgiving of any faux-pas. I am
having issues with 2.6.8-r1 with memory being eaten by the kernel. Top
reveals that only about 35% of the memory (3GB) is being used but the
actual count of free memory is only about 10MB. /proc/slabinfo shows no
odd numbers and /proc/meminfo shows the same 10MB as the top total. No
processes account for this memory, so I'm assuming it must be the
kernel. Eventually, I run out of memory and OOM-killer starts killing
processes until it has some memory. Is there some troubleshooting method
I am missing or is this a known issue?