Re: Freeze on 2.4 kernels.

From: Jussi Hamalainen
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 23:47:11 EST

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Thierry Coutelier wrote:

> The kernels range from 2.4.6 to 2.4.25 with some modifications
> (tcp_input). We tried with the standard kernel with the only
> change that the dev_alloc_name has been changed to support
> up to 900 names.
>

> The Hardware are Dell PowerEdge with Perc2 or Perc3. We tried with HP
> servers and have the same problem. We tried different firmware releases
> for the Perc cards and still no change.

I think I might be experiencing the same problem here with dual-p3
1.4GHz PE2550 boxes without PERC. We have a bunch of them doing SMTP
and webmail and every now and then one of them freezes for no
apparent reason. I don't get _anything_ on the console and nothing in
the logs. Haven't tried serial console though.

This isn't a big problem for me since this happens randomly about
every 9 weeks or so. Since the boxes are in redundant pairs I've just
shrugged it off as being a general case of piece-of-crap PC hardware.
I just thought I should add my two cents' worth...

I've gone through kernels 2.4.16 to 2.4.26 with and without various
patches and nothing seems to make a difference.

--
-=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email count@xxxxxxxxxx ]=-