Re: 2.6.9-rc2-mm1

From: Albert Cahalan
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 23:28:42 EST

On Sun, 2004-09-19 at 22:34, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 02:40:20AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.9-rc2/2.6.9-rc2-mm1/
> > - Added lots of Ingo's low-latency patches
> > - Lockmeter doesn't compile. Don't enable CONFIG_LOCKMETER.
> > - Several architecture updates
>
> top(1) shows no tasks on sparc64.

It would be nice if I had such a box. I can't even
find a user account on one. I have 32-bit ppc, plus
non-root accounts on alpha, i386, and x86_64 boxes
with obsolete kernels.

> Large negative inode numbers appear
> to be showing up for /proc/stat and other /proc/ special files on
> 64-bit irrespective of endianness, and all processes appear to have the
> same inode number once again irrespective of endianness.

The inode numbering patch looks sane enough...

> It's unclear
> why top(1) enumerates tasks on x86-64 and does not do so on sparc64,
> unless 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 shows some behavior procps-3.2.3 is sensitive to
> that 3.2.1 is not, or some numbers are overflowing on 32-bit apps but
> not 64-bit ones (top(1) is 64-bit on x86-64 but 32-bit on sparc64)

In no place does procps itself care about ino_t.

Perhaps your 32-bit glibc chokes on 64-bit inode numbers.
If so, yuck. It's really sad that we have a zillion
versions of stat(), many with oversize dev_t, and still
we use 32-bit ino_t in many places.

Whether or not that's the problem...

1. install a 64-bit or bi-arch gcc
2. install a 64-bit libc
3. install a 64-bit ncurses
4. install a 64-bit procps

(suggestion: keep going until /bin is done)

That's pretty much it. The procps package goes to
great lengths to compile itself 64-bit, even passing
the -m64 option and installing to /lib64 as needed.
If you've broken this, you get to keep the pieces.

In other words: seriously unsupported

I see no reason why 32-bit SPARC users should have
to suffer the pain of running code bloated up to
handle 64-bit SPARC. The 32-bit SPARC hardware is
slow enough already. Just try to look a 32-bit SPARC
user in the eye and tell him "Your system should run
even slower now, so that my hot new hardware can keep
running old 32-bit executables meant for you"