Re: udev is too slow creating devices

From: Andreas Jellinghaus
Date: Sun Sep 19 2004 - 13:49:54 EST

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 18:17:02 +0000, Greg KH wrote:
> There is, just run your stuff off of /etc/dev.d/ and stop relying on a
> device node to be present after modprobe returns.

But installation scripts will need to sleep/loop after fdisk,
till the devices are created, right?

And I'm currently mknod'ing /dev/md* devices before creating
the kernel structures with mkraid (which needs the device inode).
Is there any other way to do this?

sure, in the long run designs like dm with a special control
device are a better than this hack for md.
Also I wonder how dm works: will dmsetup create the /dev inode
itself, or use udev to do that? would I need the sleep/loop
in a script creating device mappings to wait for the inode?

Regards, Andreas