[BUG] Via-Rhine WOL vs PXE Boot

From: Kenneth Aafløy
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 14:56:49 EST

Hi!

In recent kernels I have been having trouble booting from a LAN with the built
in PXE firmware in my Via Epia M10k board. This will never happen after a
cold-boot. But do accur after the first reboot or power-down/power-up cycle.
When this occurs the PXE firmware exits with no error, as at least a
unplugged wire (from cold-boot) will yield an error message with the
unchanged driver. Cold-boot refers to complete power separation from the
motherboard.

I've traced this down to a specific change in the via-rhine ethernet driver:

http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.6/diffs/drivers/net/via-rhine.c%401.75?nav=index.html|
src/.|src/drivers|src/drivers/net|hist/drivers/net/via-rhine.c

I have not yet tried messing with variations of this change vs the WOL
feature, or the WOL feature at all, but probably will sometime soon. If
someone have some idea of what might be going wrong here,
I would be happy to test.

Kenneth