Re: journal aborted, system read-only

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 12:21:57 EST

On Friday 17 September 2004 12:30, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx wrote:
>On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:36:01 EDT, Gene Heskett said:
>> >This happened about 4 minutes into a 'tar cf - | (cd && tar xf
>> > -)' pipeline to clone a work copy of the -rc1-mm5 source tree
>> > (it got about 408M through the 543M before it blew up)....
>>
>> Humm, it happened to me while amdump was running, and amdump uses
>> tar. My tar version is 1.13-25.
>
>I don't think "tar" is anything more than an enabler here - it's
> just that on my laptop it's one of the more abusive things I can do
> to the file system (especially when source and dest directories are
> on the same file system). I've had the problem pop up while
> reading down my e-mail, which is another "lots of little files"
> scenario (500+ lines of procmailrc, passing stuff to/from
> spamassassin, and storing in the MH "one message per file"
> format)....

Thats the same conclusion I've since come to, Valdis. And, now that
I've moved my /var to its own partition on another disk, that may
have reduced the thrashing of that drive enough to stop the problem.
At least I've had no more such occurances since I moved /var off
of /. About 30.5 hours now according to the uptime display in
gkrellm.

>I'm about to start building -rc2-mm1 - I'm probably going to
> liberally sprinkle some strategic printk's so we have a chance of
> flushing out why it's failing...

I've been thinking about it too, but I found a bug in one of the
amanda utilities thats had my attention the last day or so & just
fixed in the last half hour. If you can make a patch out of those
printk's against rc2-mm1, send it along and I'll taste-test for the
arsenic in the desert too maybe. The More Eyeballs theory & all that
rot.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)