Re: vfat bug - solved

From: Michael Scondo
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 05:33:44 EST

Am Freitag, 17. September 2004 04:04 schrieb Herbert Poetzl:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 12:13:20AM +0200, Michael Scondo wrote:
> > Hello..
> > I've just compiled a new kernel ( 2.6.8.1 ), and now I'm not able to
> > mount my fat32 partitions anymore.
> >
> > mount /dev/hda7 /mnt
> > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda7,
> > or too many mounted file systems
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > Every works still fine with 2.6.4, but I'm not sure, whether this occurs
> > due to a bug in the kernel or because a wrong build process.
> > Therefore I'm posting this to the list.
>
> check the kernel ring buffer (dmesg) for codepages which
> are requested but not found (or other strange messages)
> which appear when you 'try' to mount the filesystem
>
> HTH,
> Herbert

Yes, the module fat wasn´t able to find cp437 as well as the charset
iso8859-1. ( both configured as default )
If I pass the options "-o codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-15" to mount,
everything works fine.
Maybe, I should have been a little bit more watchful while configuring.
But weren't it sensible to provide a mechanism, which prevent's such a silly
configuration ?

Thanks a lot
Micha