2.6.8.1-ck8

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Thu Sep 16 2004 - 20:08:14 EST

These are patches designed to improve system responsiveness with specific emphasis on the desktop, but configurable to any workload.

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.8.1/2.6.8.1-ck8/patch-2.6.8.1-ck8.bz2

web:
http://kernel.kolivas.org
all patches:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/
Split patches and a server specific patch available.

Changes since 2.6.8.1-ck7
Due to time constraints, stability etc I am sticking to just performance patches and bugfixes from this release on. It is getting too hard to maintain the other patches and the bug reports that go with them and still develop my own patches. There seem to be _many_ people maintaining trees based on mine and I prefer they maintain the extra features. There seem to be many people maintaining trees based on mine and I prefer they maintain the extra features.

Added:
+cfq2 bugfixes
Numerous little additions from Jens Axboe to his CFQ I/O scheduler
+cbq-fixes.diff
Two memory leaks that caused instability in mainline with QoS enabled

Updated:
~from_2.6.8.1_to_staircase8.3
The staircase cpu scheduler has been updated to the latest code. The main change is much better cpu accounting separtely from jiffies for running tasks to improve fairness. This improves some hardware emulation (wine, zsnes, mame etc), some games, some audio software and some overall fairness issues.

Rolled up - these patches are rolled up versions of all the inbetween patches used in 2.6.8.1-ck7:
+1g_lowmem1_i386.diff
+akpm-latency-fix1.patch
+cdaudio_leakfix.patch
+cfq2-17092004.patch

Removed:
-cool-spinlocks-i386.diff
This has gone into mainline in a newer form so there is no point maintaining the older one.

-supermount-ng205.diff
I'm still maintaining this separately and it can be found in the split patches if you still wish to use it.

-fbsplash-0.9-r5-2.6.8-rc3.patch
Feature removed

-make-tree_lock-an-rwlock.patch
-invalidate_inodes-speedup.patch
Patches that were added for reiser4 merging

-2.6.8.1-mm2-reiser4.diff
-change_reiser4_config.diff
Feature removed

-vesafb-tng-0.9-rc4-r2-2.6.8.1.patch
-vesafb_change_config.diff
Feature removed. These were causing problems with swsusp.

Full patchlist:
from_2.6.8.1_to_staircase8.3
schedrange.diff
schedbatch2.4.diff